Christmas preparations have really got going in our house. The children and I (Jake, 6 and Isla, 2) have been making these delightful heart-shaped decorations. Not sure yet where their final hanging place will be, I’m thinking hung daintilly along the fireplace, but I’m sure the kids will have their own ideas! They’re not my original design, I found them on the internet, but can’t for the life of me remember where – Christmas is already starting to take it’s toll on my memory. Anyway, if you fancy having a go, here’s how…
- Cut two strips of thin card 1.5cm wide by 15cm long. We used glitter card, but any coloured card will be fine, just make sure it’s not too thick.
- Cut two strips of thin card 1.5cm wide by 12cm long. We used contrasting colours, but you don’t have to, the same colour would look great too.
- Cut one strip of thin card 1.5cm wide by 8cm long.
- Cut a piece of ribbon or string 15cm long, or longer if you want the final heart to dangle more.
- Create a loop with the ribbon and place each end either side of the shortest bit of card, about 1cm down.
- Place one piece of the longest card, sparkle side towards the ribbon, so that it lines up with the cut end of the ribbon and lies straight up along the ribbon loop. Next, place a piece of the next shortest card over the long piece of card. (see step 7 picture – it’s easier to see than explain)
- Repeat step 6 on the other side of the ribbon loop. Your decoration will look like this…
- Take the end of one of the shortest outside strips and gently bend it round so that the tip meets the tip of the shortest piece of card. Repeat with the longest piece of card on the same side. Keep nipped in place with your fingers.
- Repeat step 8 with the two remaining card strips on the other side of the ribbon.
- Carefully staple all of the curled over strips of card in place about 0.5cm from the bottom – this will form the bottom point of the heart decoration.
- Voila – your completed decoration! Create a few to hang along a fireplace, or dangle from your tree. Try different lengths of card to produce different sized hearts
Hope you have fun – please let me know how you get on by posting a comment below.
Until next time – happy crafting!